Friday, January 26, 2007

Take Ten Seconds: Part 1

I know it may seem strange to read something not having to do with the New York Rangers, Brian Leetch, or any sports in general on this blog. While I certainly try and keep a theme for anyone who feels my crap is worth reading, there have been a few turning points as this senior nears graduation that warrant discussing. I am going to entitle this part one, so as to not allow myself to ramble on.

Take ten seconds and answer this question: if you could know one thing from the future what would it be? Essentially, if you could ask a psychic (to 100% accuracy) anything, what would it be?

10..9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...decision:

I recently asked a few friends, about 10, that . 80% said the same thing, who I am going to spend my life with.

Like many, I have had positive and negative experiences from relationships, however as many of us move forward with our lives, this seems to be a pressing issue. Will we find someone? Where will we find them? Where do I meet people after college?

My personal favorite anecdote, "I don't want to meet Mommy in a bar or townhouse basement." (That's copyrighted so you need to attribute to me ;))

However, with the questions as to how we will provide for ourselves or our future families looming, they are seemingly not on our minds. Why is this? When you can know how long you have to live, how you will make your living, or how long you have with a family member: we choose to know what fate has in store for love.

I am not going to pretend that I am any different. I justify it in my mind as saying that a relationship is the foundation for other things to build from. Even further, that my life will be defined and decided by who I marry, such as job, location, etc.

At the same time, there is such a small demographic that doesn't find love or marriage (depending how you view either), is it reasonable to even worry about it? Older people or couples would say no, they answer that your education and happiness is more important; to enjoy your youth and work hard and the rest will fall into place. However, we all refuse to accept this.

Does the fear of rejection overshadow our priorities? Does the fear of the unknown make us jump into unwarranted decisions? Does lonliness act as the root of all unhappiness?

Perhaps this is more observatory then anything. Perhaps this was merely written to try and find these answers for myself. Any thoughts?

0 comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro